Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Germany Blog #2


Germany Blog #2
After traveling abroad this summer throughout different countries in Europe and studying the European economy, I learned an abundant amount of information about the present as well as the history that created the Germany we know today.  Since Germany was a main topic in our studies, one of the places we traveled to was Munich, Germany.  During this time we learned about different aspects of German history as well as went to visit numerous historical places.  Due to this trip I felt like I learned a lot more about Germany and their history but after reading the first two chapters of Hagen Schulze novel, Germany. A New History. I continued to learn more about the past. 

Since I studied the German economy I learned that The European Union is the largest market as well as the biggest exporter in the world.  So when I think of Germany I think of an established country with money and power.  It was interesting to learn how Germany actually took longer to develop and grow to become its own country compared to other countries.  In the fifteenth century, Germany was behind on its state and rulers compared to France, England, and Spain who had developed their governments.

Map of Germany and surrounding land
 

The discovery of the Germania that was written around 100 B.C. for Emperor Trajan, described Germans as distinct people that were worthy of one’s interest.  Before this document was unearthed, German scholars were actually lagging in the international competition for national glory.  I found it interesting that this lost text helped cast a light on German’s that was not there prior.  It makes me wonder if humanist scholars of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries were not trying to strengthen the identity of nations, would they ever have found this document.  If not, then I wonder if Germany would be as strong as it is today or if there would be a different outcome of how the country turned out. 
Text on Germania
 
Germany’s struggle to become a country and power makes me think of the United States split from Great Britain.  The United States was originally not its own country and fought to become what it is today just like Germany.  Both countries have grown so far as to surpass all odds and expectations others have set for them.
Since Germany was absolutely breath taking, I am looking forward to being able to spend an extended period of time just traveling around Germany to see more cities as well as learn more about the history of the country.  Although you may have traveled somewhere, you will always see something new and have new experiences each time you go.  The few days that I was able to travel in Germany this summer was not nearly enough.  I find it interesting to see how Germany developed as a country over time and has continued to change.  I cannot believe the trip is already in three months and I cannot wait to start the adventure!
Word count: 505







No comments:

Post a Comment